Call Us Today! 067-56005|
English Irish
Frequently Asked Questions2022-05-20T10:23:36+00:00



How to Read your Meter?2020-10-19T13:36:23+00:00

There are three main types of electricity meters in use as per the ESB Networks –

  • Mechanical revolving disc meters
  • Electronic meters
  • Pay as You Go meters

Click here to read our handy guide on how to read your electricity meter.  If you’re not sure what kind of meter you have, please read on.

What type of meter do I have?

To identify the type of meter you have, look at the descriptions below. To find out how to read your meter, ​select the relevant option.

Mechanical Meter

This meter is the most common type of meter in domestic dwellings. It has a revolving disc and one row of numbers. There are two different types – 24 Hr Revolving Disc Meter and Time of Day Meter.

Business customers may have a Wattless Meter installed. The Wattless meter is distinguished from Standard Meters or Day & Night Meters by the letters kVArh located near its register and is read in the same way.

24 Hour Meter or Day and Night Meter

Electronic Meter

For most commercial and some industrial premises, Non Quarter Hourly (NQH) metering is used. Many of these meters have electronic registers with one electronic meter display capable of scrolling through multiple register readings. Larger customers may also have additional current transformers. Electronic meters are also installed in some domestic premises.

Domestic or Business 

Pay As You Go Meter

Your electricity supplier may arrange for a Pay as You Go meter to be installed at your premises. Each Pay as You Go meter has two elements, a customer keypad and an ESB Networks main meter.

It is important to note that even if you have a Pay as You Go meter, a meter reader will still call to read the main meter.

Watch our Video  More Information

Safety Tip

Please be careful when reading your meter, especially if it is up high or in an inaccessible place.

Smart Meters

Do you wish to join the ESB Early Adopter Smart Meter list?2022-05-20T10:18:51+00:00

Please complete your details below and we will submit them on your behalf to the ESB network Early Adopter List.

If they are in your area, they will be notified of your smart meter request.

Please only fill in your details if you are a customer of Community Power.

*only available for 24 hour meters and NOT day and night meters.



What is a Smart meter and can I get one?2022-05-18T10:18:36+00:00

A Smart Meter will enable the move to a low-carbon electricity network, the development of smart grids and support the electrification of heat and transport, local renewable generation and micro generation. ‘It will also eliminate the need for estimated bills. The ESB Networks with the roll-out of the National Smart Metering Programme (NSMP) involves replacing all existing electricity meters with Smart Enabled Meters.   The roll out programme will be delivered in a phased approach, commencing with an initial delivery of 250,000 meters in 2019 – 2020 (they are in Cork, Laois, Kildare, Dublin, Cavan. Donegal, Waterford, Galway and many more to come) and approximately 500,000 meters in each of the 4 subsequent years.

Ireland’s smart meter upgrade programme will ensure that customers and businesses are provided with the next generation of electricity meters that are being rolled out across Europe and internationally. This new technology will replace older meters and will make available new products and services bringing benefits to Irish consumers, the environment and the economy. Smart meters will make the supplier switching process easier and empower consumers to make a more informed choice for their energy needs.

Smart metering will also enable the development of the smart grid and facilitate more flexible, reliable and better network planning. Smart meters in Ireland are not currently enabled to record microgeneration export, and you cannot request a smart meter for your property.

You can read more about the smart meter roll out here. 


How to Read a Smart Meter?2021-03-17T17:22:28+00:00
Who will change our meter to a smart meter ?2022-05-18T10:21:17+00:00

ESB networks are replacing your meters to smart meters


What is the difference between an Actual & Estimated Reading on your Bill?2021-11-11T10:52:07+00:00

If an actual meter reading is submitted to Community Power on the 30th or 31st of a calendar month then the ‘Actual’ KW usage amount will be reflected on your Invoice and billed accordingly (Note: not applicable to smart meters, where ESBN does not accept customer reads).

In all other circumstances you will receive a ‘Community Power Estimate’ (CP-E). If a meter reading is submitted mid-month then this reading is applied to your account and a daily KW usage estimate, based on your annual usage (provided by ESBN), is added to this actual read for the remaining days in any given calendar month. As a result, the calculated ‘Community Power Estimate’ for any monthly Billing Period where a reading has been submitted before the 30th/31st of the month is based on ESBN reading data and should accurately reflect your usage for the full calendar month.

We suggest and encourage all our customers who do not have a Smart Meter to submit a reading monthly on the 30th or 31st of the month to ensure accurate billing for your usage. If you have any queries in relation to your bill please email

What is our Fuel Mix?2022-04-05T08:59:09+00:00

In order to display a ‘fuel mix’ specific to Community Power we are required to make a submission to the Single Electricity Market (SEMO) to have our own bespoke fuel mix calculated. The calculations are always done for the previous year (in 2022 the Fuel Mix displayed is the year of operation Jan 2020-Dec 2020 ). As we have been operational for over a year, we have provided our first submission for our fuel mix. This will be reflected for the first time in the fuel mix calculated at the end of 2022 and will show our fuel mix for the year Jan 2021 – Dec 2021.

Any supplier who has not applied to SEMO for their Fuel mix disclosure must display the ‘Residual Fuel Mix’ on their bills and this is compared to the ‘All Island Average’  fuel mix.  As a result, the Fuel Mix figures currently displayed on our Community Power bills (and below) do not accurately reflect the renewable content of our generation and supply, rather the Irish Residual Fuel Mix for years Jan 2020 – Dec 2020.

The Commission for Regulation of Utilities (CRU) considers the residual fuel mix as “the fuel mix which is left over from the All-Island fuel mix after individual supplier’s fuel mixes have been calculated.”

The majority of our current generators are hydro generators and following our success in  the ‘community pot’ of the Renewable Energy Support Scheme (RESS) auction in September 2020, we intend to build  2 X 5MW Community Owned Solar Farms in 2021.


The following table displays the Community Power fuel fix (ROI Residual fuel mix) for year January to December 2020.

Our goal is to generate Irish community owned renewable energy as opposed to offsetting international renewable generation to improve our Fuel Mix credentials.

How often do you bill?2020-05-23T17:48:23+00:00

We will bill you monthly by direct debit. We can send your bill via email or post. When you sign up it will ask for your preference.

Payment will be processed and taken from your account 14 days after your bill issue date.

What is EAB?2021-10-05T10:14:40+00:00

EAB means the Estimated Annual Bill. It is a way for customers to be able to compare and contrast tariffs between electricity suppliers.  It is designed based on the CRU’s (Customer Regulatory Organisation of Ireland) typical annual consumption figures for electricity. This is 4,200 kWh of electricity per annum. This is used as a guideline for the customer.

(Unit Rate x CRU typical annual electricity consumption value) + (Standing Charge + Service Charge + PSO) X 365 days

What is DUoS?2020-05-23T17:48:24+00:00

DUoS stands for Distribution Use of System. A DUoS charge is a fee that ESB Networks charges Community Power for use of the Electricity Distribution System. Community Power will pass this on to you in your Electricity Bill.

The amount of DUoS that ESB Networks charges Community Power for each customer depends on which DUoS Group a customer is classified as, which can be based on several factors including the voltage a premises is connected at, the type of meter installed, or if electricity is exported.

DUoS Group Name Description

DG1 Urban Domestic Customers

DG2 Rural Domestic Customers

DG3 Unmetered Public Lighting

DG4 Other Unmetered Connections

DG5 Low Voltage Non-Domestic Non-MD Customers

DG5A Low Voltage Non-Domestic Non-MD Autoproducers (Exporters)

DG5B Low Voltage Non-Domestic Non-MD Autoproducers (Importers)

DG6 Low Voltage Non-Domestic MD Customers

DG6A Low Voltage Non-Domestic MD Autoproducers (Exporters)

DG6B Low Voltage Non-Domestic MD Autoproducers (Importers).

The Household Benefits Package – Switching To Community Power2020-05-23T17:48:23+00:00

This package of allowances is in regards to the costs of running your household. The package is available to everyone aged over 70 and to people under age 70 in certain circumstances.

If you change your electricity supplier, it is your responsibility to notify the Department of this change. You must provide proof of your new energy provider (utility bill in your name) from the change date.

If you have a question relating to this topic you can contact the Citizens Information Phone Service on 0761 07 4000 (Monday to Friday, 9am to 8pm) .

What action is required if I’m moving out of a premises and I am already a customer?2020-05-23T17:45:56+00:00

When you want to close your account or are moving to a new house, you need to take the following steps: 

Step 1. You will need to give us notice by phone, email or post. 

Step 2. The closure notice must include the following: – Your name and MPRN number (see top of latest Bill) – A closing meter reading – Forwarding address so we can send you your final bill. 

We will only accept a termination notice from the authorised account holder or the nominated representative that we have on record. If you cannot provide a final reading you will be final billed based on an estimated reading provided to us, by ESB Networks Ireland.

In the unlikely event that you don’t inform us that you are moving out you will be held responsible for any energy used up to the date the meter is disconnected for vacancy or a new customer moves into the premises. We will pursue unpaid debts using our debt collection procedures. All unpaid debts will be subject to our normal debt collection procedures. 

We may withhold supplying energy or opening an account with us in your name until all outstanding debt is paid. You may not be able to open a new account in a new premise with us until all your outstanding debt is paid. Unpaid debts may be transferred to a new account and this will depend on individual circumstances. 

Step 3. Once we have a final reading and a forwarding address, we will issue you with your final bill no later than six weeks from the effective date of the change of supplier or account closure taking place. 

Your final bill will include information about any credit due to you. We will refund any credit owing to you, either directly into your bank or if you require a cheque payment, please contact us on 067 56005. We will make any credit payment to you within 2 months of your final bill date.


What is cVPP?2021-07-01T18:38:56+00:00

A community-based Virtual Power Plant (cVPP)

Although local power generation by renewable sources is increasing, it has not yet had a real impact on radical decarbonisation of the energy sector, Changes need to be made by unlocking the potential of the prosumer. This project proposes a community-based Virtual Power Plant (cVPP), a novel model that can help organise & significantly boost renewable energy production & distribution at a local level.


Taking the VPP a step further

A virtual power plant (VPP) refers to a cluster of dispersed generator units, controllable loads & storage systems, aggregated to operate as a unique power plant. It enables integration of renewables & flexibility in demand in energy markets. Several VPP designs exist on the market developed by various organisations, however, implementation remained limited due to a top-down focus on technical parameters. The community-based version of a VPP is bottom-up and focusses on sustainability issues, by organizing a form of Collective Power, that is increasing the level of participation and control of the local community. The cVPP thus aims at taking the development of the VPP a step further.


Empowering prosumers – raising awareness – facilitate upscaling

The concept offers a community the opportunity to provide its energy needs with small-scale, distributed low-carbon technologies with participation from individual consumers, local energy companies or SMEs. It can empower prosumers and contribute to the democratisation of energy markets. This process spurs awareness & public engagement in the energy transition. By doing so, it facilitates upscaling of low-carbon energy community-driven initiatives that have, so far, missed critical mass to trigger the energy transition.



I want to sell my renewable electricity to Community Power, Can I?2020-11-03T16:22:52+00:00

If you have a renewable generator, approximately 50 Kw or greater and you would like to sell your power to Community Power, we can offer a fair Power Purchase Agreement. Or if you or your organisation is exploring ‘on site’ renewable generation, and have a requirement for a licenced supply company, we can help.

The Irish government does not currently support the sale of power generated from microgeneration (houses or small projects) and there is no framework in place to support microgeneration. ESBNetworks will be announcing more on this in 2021.

Specifically Action 30 of the Climate Action Plan seeks to support microgenerators.  It includes the establishment of a working group in Q3 2019, sets out the steps necessary and timelines for the delivery of an enabling framework for micro generation.

What is microgeneration?2020-05-23T17:49:38+00:00

Micro generation describes the production of electricity using small renewable generators. It is typically associated with installations in domestic or small business properties, like rooftop solar panels or small hydro or wind turbines. Micro generators produce less than 5.75 kW (single phase connection to the house) or 11 kW (3 phase connection to the house) of electrical power.

Micro generators can ‘spill’ power onto the grid, at times when power is being produced but not all of the power is being used on site.  For example solar pv panels on a school over a sunny weekend or holiday period.  In order to measure the amount of ‘spill’ from a micro generator, an export meter must be installed by ESB Networks.  Export meters can be purchased at a cost of €340 – €640 from ESB Networks at this linkDepending on how much power is exported the payback time to cover the cost of a meter could be a number of years.  There is currently no support for the sale of microgeneration in Ireland.

There is a recognition that a framework to enable and support microgeneraiton should be introduced in Ireland in line with the EU Clean Energy Package, which establishes new rights for community and citizen owned renewbale energy. The Irish Climate Action Plan promises support for microgeneration. Action 30 includes for the establishment of a working group in Q3 2019, and sets out the steps necessary and timelines for the delivery of an enabling framework for micro generation. The Plan provides that a support payment for excess electricity generated on site and exported to the grid will be available to all micro-generators by 2021 whilst ensuring principles of equity, self-consumption and energy efficiency first are incorporated’ which was mentioned by the Government department of Environment. Read more 

I want to own/my community wants to own a renewable energy development/part of a renewable energy development, Can I/we do that in Ireland?2020-11-10T11:02:05+00:00

Almost!  We have been preparing to develop three solar farms in Galway, Mayo and Tipperary.  Ownership of these solar farms will be open to the communities and citizens of Ireland, with priority to those living nearby, to allow all to share in the returns and benefits of renewable energy.  Each solar farm will be developed as individual legal entities, and all will be built on co-operative principles based on voluntary and open participation, will be autonomous and will be effectively controlled by shareholders or members that are located nearby.

We have taken part in the first auction of the Renewable Electricity Support Scheme (RESS) September 2020 and have been successful.  This scheme will provide support for the sale of solar electricity to the Irish market for the first time.

We are looking for communities and people who share in our vision of community and citizen owned renewable energy in Ireland, and want to own a share in a solar farm in Ireland.

You can pre-register your interest here now. 

Electricity Networks & Regulations

What is MPRN?2020-05-23T18:11:49+00:00

The MPRN is an 11 digit number which can be found at the top of an electricity bill or can be gotten by a landlord or by phoning the ESBN. It is a unique number that is specific to a property. This number is required for any general enquiry and also if your are switching suppliers.

Who are the CRU?2020-05-23T17:51:05+00:00

The CRU has a statutory responsibility to protection energy consumers. One way the CRU discharges this responsibility is through the Electricity and Gas Suppliers’ Handbook. The Handbook acts as the ‘rulebook’ for suppliers with regard to all interactions with energy customers. The Handbook is a mix of principles and rules which all suppliers must adhere to.

The Handbook is split into a number of codes of practice for issues such as billing, disconnections, complaint handling, vulnerable customers, etc. The Handbook also contains a number of codes for non-household customers which suppliers must also comply with providing protections for small and medium sized businesses (SMEs).

The CRU manages the Handbook and conducts reviews to take account of developments in the energy market. The most recent review of the Handbook was conducted in 2016/17 and was subject to a number of rounds of public consultation and engagement with industry and consumer interest groups.

Who are the ESB Networks?2020-05-23T17:52:12+00:00

ESBN ensures that electricity gets to homes and businesses of our 2.3million electricity customers, safely and efficiently. They have invested billions in the electricity network over the last 10 years so communities and businesses can grow and develop.

ESBN and their customer guide2020-11-10T10:57:31+00:00

ESB Networks continues to operate normally however we are taking precautions like remote working so we may not be able to respond to your query as quickly as possible. We are asking our customers to use the various digital platforms as the first point of contact for routine services and general enquiries:


For Faults and Emergencies call 1800 372 999,  OR 021 2382410  (available 24 hours, 7 days a week).

Vulnerable Customers

Vulnerable Customer – PSR and SSR2021-07-08T09:41:32+00:00

Please note, if you are registering as a vulnerable customer, we reserve the right to ask for medical certification to confirm.

If you have any questions, please phone 067 56005

Please CLICK HERE to complete the form
Go to Top